Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mold growing in drywall mud bucket

IL

12-27-06, 05:31 AM   #1  
Mold growing in drywall mud bucket

I have an ongoing remodel project, a friend called and asked if I had any drywall mud....I loaned it to him about a month ago and got the bucket back today.

I opened the bucket planning on doing some work on the house and inside i found black, red and yellow mold growing in the bucket.

what caused this? can I just scrape the mold out of the top and use what is below? or should i just go get a new bucket of mud?

thanks

Sponsored Links

OH

12-27-06, 05:36 AM   #2  
Mold and mildew spores are everywhere in the air. When they find a damp, poorly ventilated area, they tend to settle in. Likely bucket was not properly sealed or left open and spores had the opportunity to enter. Discard the bucket as a precaution against introducing growth in your home.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-27-06, 05:42 AM   #3  
I agree, the mud at the bottom of the bucket is probably ok but do you really want to take a chance?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

OR

12-27-06, 05:49 AM   #4  
A new bucket of mud is far less money than any potential issues may end up being. I don't know how you do it, but I'll scrape the edges of the bucket clean when I'm finished, get the surface of the remaining mud in the bucket flat and smooth, and then pour in a couple inches of clean water. The water won't mix with the mud and sits on top of it creating a seal which won't allow anything to grow or the mud to dry out. When I'm ready to use it again, I pour the water off, mix the mud again, and go back to work. I've had drywall mud last quite a while that way. If it's going to be stored a while, put the lid on so the water doesn't evaporate. I realize you didn't create the current issue and I may be preachin' to the choir, but, just in case.......

IL

12-27-06, 05:52 AM   #5  
Mud is certainly cheap enough, i will just go get a new bucket.

actually, i probably did cause it....before i loaned it out i had used it and just set the lid on the bucket because i would be back to work in a day or so...didnt know any better so i guess i know now!

thank you for the quick reply!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-29-06, 02:34 PM   #6  
If you are doing a small job, you can use the hot mix in bags. It comes in different drying times, 25 minutes, 45 minutes, etc. Mix what you need, seal up the rest and keep it dry until next time. Gives you the opportunity to apply several coats in a day.

OH

12-29-06, 02:50 PM   #7  
I've never had a bucket of drywall mud. If I ever do, I have the tip filed away in my gray cells about adding the water to the top to form a seal. Outstanding tip!

When it comes to mold and mildew, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Some people are more sensitive than others to allergens. Mold and mildew can pose health risks.

Search this Thread