Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Why does the bottom of my wall protrude out?

Why does the bottom of my wall protrude out?

Old 12-27-06, 08:06 PM
Unhappy Why does the bottom of my wall protrude out?

In my living room the bottom foot of one entire wall, and a couple of feet of the next wall has a protruding section that sticks out about 3 or 4 inches..

It's kinda hard to explain exactly what it looks like. I bought the house almost a year ago, which was built in the 40s.

I hate it because I cannot sit couches, shelves, anything flat against that wall, otherwise it looks really funny.

I am in the process of painting and installing a laminate floor so I started pulling the baseboard, figuring I would get the painting done before starting the floor. When I started pulling the baseboard off one end of that wall, it pulled away part of the plaster or whatever it was that was making up the skin of the hump/wall. Underneath it appears to be just barely contained sand, it's very crumbly and just brushing it with a broom keeps breaking off more and more of the sand.

Can someone tell me what this hump/protuding section of the wall is and why it's there?

My house has no basement, it's just a single floor house sitting on a slab.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-06, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know a lot about plaster but would guess that at some point the plaster in that area got wet, weakened and bulged out. The 'sand' is probably the brown coat that has deteriated.

One of the plasterers will probably be along later to tell you the correct way to repair this. What i would do would be to remove what is bad and insert drywall to level out the repair.

Old 12-28-06, 07:06 AM
Well, obviously intenional and not just bulged out from getting wet or something. The protruding section is very consistent along the length of the wall, like someone went through the trouble to shape it. The sandy stuff inside might be brittle and crumbly from getting wet though. I would take a picture to show you exactly what it looks like, but don't have my camera right now.

Old 12-28-06, 04:19 PM
A picture would be most helpful. Could this be vermiculite insulation?
Is there framing behind the ledge? Is this an outside wall? Is it below grade? Is the rest of the wall frame construction or masonry?
Is there plumbing in the wall.

Old 12-28-06, 08:35 PM
What is vermiculite for? Insulation? It is the outside wall, no framing behind the ledge that I can see. Not below the grade, and the room next to this room which shares the same exterior wall does not have the hump. The whole house is framed with wood, the outside is stucco. No plumbing in the wall.

I will take a picture eventually but it will probably end up being a week or so.

Old 12-28-06, 08:58 PM
Cool

Well, maybe the picture will help. Right now I'm out of ideas; a rare thing for me.

Old 12-29-06, 11:05 AM
Could it be a foundation wall or wide sill plate?

Is the house on a slab foundation ie no basement?

Old 12-29-06, 03:19 PM
You said: "It is the outside wall, no framing behind the ledge that I can see. Not below the grade, and the room next to this room which shares the same exterior wall does not have the hump. The whole house is framed with wood, the outside is stucco. No plumbing in the wall."

There must be some framing somewhere back there to hold up the house. This ia a guess pending pictures that it was a pipe chase. Maybe the plumbing has been abandoned. It is odd, however, that abandoned plumbing would not still be there.

marksr is right about what happens when plaster gets and stays wet a while.
If there is nothing there anyway there doesn't seem to be any harm in taking it off. When (if) you get back to sound construction then you will know how it's built and you might discover why its there. In the mean time keep shoveling and sweeping the junk out it is certainly doing you no harm.
Vermiculite is in various grades of coarsness. In insulating walls it is usually like fine sand. You can tell if it's vemiculite because it's very light weight. The only other sand like light weight material you might find is perlite, another light weight mineral that could have been used for plaster aggregate.

This is intriguing. Keep us posted on what you find.

Old 01-01-07, 04:19 PM
Ok, think I figured out what it's there for. The bottom 1' of the wall is cement which sticks out about 1.5". In order to insulate it, they put that sandy stuff over the concrete, then what looks like plaster on top of that. When I pulled the baseboard off, it pulled off part of the plaster and some of the sandy stuff came with it.

I am going to go ahead and knock it all out until I am back to the cement footing, then sandwitch a moisture barrier and foam in between the cement and drywall.

Thanks for the help.