Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

compound preferred for splatter texture

Old 12-30-06, 01:44 PM

Hey,

What would you guys prefer to use lightweight joint compound or plain joint compound for a splatter texture? Local SW store doesn't know of any differences. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-06, 04:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's not much difference in that application. Do you plan on knocking down the texture? If so, either will be fine.

Old 12-31-06, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use which ever one is handy, never noticed any difference.

Old 12-31-06, 11:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You're right. 5 gallons of one seems to weigh about the same as 5 gallons of the other. Where does the "lightweight" come into play? They're both heavy!

Old 12-31-06, 11:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, your'e right, they're both heavy. The only light drywall buckets I've ever picked up are the empty ones If a wimp had to carry 5 gal buckets of mud on a regular basis - he wouldn't be a wimp for long

I think the lightweight is so called because it's a little easier to sand. It also isn't supposed to be good for tape and bed coat although I have done so in a pinch. As for texture, I don't think it makes much difference.

Old 12-31-06, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Lightweight mud in the blue buckets will shrink back a little more than the regular mud will. A lot of times using the lightweight mud will result in a smoother, more rounded texture on ceilings.

Generally, though, most contractors use the green buckets- the regular mud- and thin it with water. Remove some mud from the 5 gallon bucket and start by adding 64 oz of water, and mix it well with a paddle. It's hard to describe how much it should be thinned, but it has to be runny enough to splatter on the wall- kinda like pancake batter. If the globs are too big when it's sprayed, its probably too thick. Add more water until you get the consistancy you want.