Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ceiling in bad shape

01-04-07, 05:37 AM   #1  
Ceiling in bad shape

We are remodeling our bathroom and currently need to re-texture and paint the ceiling.

Part of the the ceiling is rather rough due to us tearing down a huge cabinet that hung from the ceiling.

I've patched it as much as I could, but I think I need a heavy texture applied to cover up any flaws. Is there a good texture available that I can apply myself? I don't think the stuff you add to your paint is thick enough.

thanks,
Hillary

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-04-07, 06:03 AM   #2  
Personally I don't like much texture on a bath ceiling. A textured ceiling has more surface area than the same size ceiling that is slick. More surface area means there is more area for steam to hang onto which means a greater chance of moisture damage.

IMO it would be best to skim coat the ceiling. It isn't hard to do. If skim coating the ceiling is overwhelming to you, break it up into little squares like a checkboard. Skim all the 'black' squares, when dry skim the 'white' ones. Sand when finished.

You can buy texture paint that should be sufficent to hide the repair - paint the whole ceiling with it. Texture will hide minor defects but it won't make a bad patch job disappear.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread