Replacing Ceiling Sheetrock

Old 01-05-07, 08:25 AM
Replacing Ceiling Sheetrock

I live in an older home. I've noticed with all the shifting this house does, the sheetrock in the ceiling is sagging somewhat. Who would I hire to replace this....carpenter, painter?

Any advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 10:54 AM
Sheetrocking is a trade. Look in the yellow pages for sheetrock or drywall contractors or better yet ask friends and neighbors for a recommendation. The guys are real pros but the problem is that most are tied to the hip of a general contractor and are full time occupied with new construction.

A small job like your ceiling repair is often done by "handyman" type of contractor. Sort of a jack of all trades, master of some. If you decide to go with a handyman make sure he/she is licensed and insured and get everything in writing, including start and completion dates. Try to get bids from several contractors. You'll be amazed at the price difference.

Old 01-05-07, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might get a drywall hanger/finisher to do the work 'on the side' Workers who do work on the side usually aren't licensed or insured - many will do a good honest job, a few won't. Some painters will also do this type of work.

Depending on the condition of your ceiling, it could be as simple as propping it up and rescrewwing it - or as drastric as tear out and replace.

Getting multiple quotes allows you to compare both prices and the work to be done - some may want to do more work = more$ and some might underestimate what needs to be done. The majority is usually right.

btw - welcome to the diy forums

Old 01-05-07, 06:45 PM
Smile

Thank you both. I will take your advice.