corner repair - textured ceiling

Old 01-09-07, 06:00 PM
corner repair - textured ceiling

I have corners separating where the walls meet the ceiling. The ceiling has a stucco-type texture on it. I'm not sure if it's actually plaster or if it's just drywall compound. The exterior of the house is stucco, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ceiling texture is plaster. I need to figure out the best way to repair these corners. Specifically, how do I prepare the surface so I can re-tape? Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-07, 07:33 PM
textured ceiling repair

It probaly is a sprayed on texture commonly referred to as stucco or sometimes popcorn ceilings. I belive the proper term is stipple. If it is stipple and you don't like it you can remove all of it and create a flat finished ceiling.
The degree of difficulty depends on how many times it has been painted (if at all) and how much stuff you have in your room. The stipple needs to be wetted down with water (use a pump style weed sprayer), then scraped away using a trowel of some sort. Obviously there will be a massive mess. I recommend using a large inexpensive tarp and tossing the whole thing when your done. Afterwards there will be some skimming, sanding, priming and finish painting to be done.
orrrrrr..
You can create a "border" by simply sanding the ceiling all around the perimeter of your room using maybe a 4" sanding block. Now you would have enough
room to fix the failing tape. Then sand, prime and finish paint.

Last edited by painter guy; 01-09-07 at 07:34 PM. Reason: bad grammer
Old 01-10-07, 06:35 AM
Not sprayed on

The ceiling texture is not a popcorn-style or sprayed on. It looks like it's troweled on. Just a random pattern. It doesn't want to scrape off, that's why I think it's plaster and not regular drywall compound.

Would it be possible (or even a good idea) to "build up" compound and tape rather than scraping it down? What about using a rigid corner bead (like the ones used for outside corners)? It's looking more and more like I'll hire this job out if I can find someone who will do it.

Old 01-10-07, 06:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It may be a skip trowel texture on your ceiling, probably done with joint compound which when painted correctly is harder to remove. It is unlikely that the texture is plaster unless you also have plaster walls.

You can skim coat the entire ceiling to make it slick, it's best to sand and scrape what you can first. This will both make the j/c adhere better and hopefully mean less j/c needed to do the job.

A quick easy way to fix the crack is to use caulking. Not as good a fix as tape and mud, but a lot easier and no retexturing needed. Installing crown moulding will also hide the crack.

btw - welcome to the diy forums!

Old 01-10-07, 10:02 AM
The walls are not plaster, but the exterior is stucco/plaster with a similar texture. That is why I thought the texture might be plaster. Either way, it is VERY hard to scrape. I have no intention of skim coating the whole ceiling as it is a very large room. I've also ruled out crown molding because it is a vaulted ceiling. I suppose it's still possible, but much more complex.

It appears the last time the room was painted (6 years ago, right before I bought the house) they used caulk on some of the same corners, but some of the gaps are pretty wide now and I'd rather do it "right".

My suggestion to "build up" was just around the perimeter, so the corners would appear built up, but most people probably wouldn't notice it, only a/r people like me, or people who do this for a living would notice.

I'm also curious about using rigid corner bead on inside corners. Does anyone do that? I have used the metal-reinforced tape before. I went through a similar exercise last year in my bedroom, but the ceiling was not textured.

I think I will attempt a sanding it with a sanding block later tonight. What a mess!
Thanks again,