Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sheetrocking ceiling question...

01-13-07, 12:04 PM   #1  
Sheetrocking ceiling question...

Hi all!
I am currently hanging the walls in our basement remodel. I was originally planning on spraying the ceiling but am thinking I might want to sheetrock the ceiling instead. Is there a major thing against doing the ceiling after the walls, or will I be ok? I know everyone recommends doing the ceiling first so I'm just checking.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

01-13-07, 12:36 PM   #2  
You should be okay. It will just be more difficult to get a nice tight joint around your ceiling. Not a big deal, you might just have more gaps to prefill before you tape the corners.

There's other advantages to hanging the ceiling first, but there's no point into going into that since you mentioned the walls are already done. Just be sure you have solid blocking all around the perimeter of the room before you hang the rock, and mark the locations of the ceiling joists on the walls for easy locating.

01-28-07, 09:12 AM   #3  
Posted By: XSleeper You should be okay. It will just be more difficult to get a nice tight joint around your ceiling. Not a big deal, you might just have more gaps to prefill before you tape the corners.

There's other advantages to hanging the ceiling first, but there's no point into going into that since you mentioned the walls are already done. Just be sure you have solid blocking all around the perimeter of the room before you hang the rock, and mark the locations of the ceiling joists on the walls for easy locating.
Thanks XSleeper!

What do you think about cutting 1/2" slot at the very top of the sheetrock along the top. Then I would put the sheetrock on the ceiling, sliding them into the 1/2" slots to help support?

Group Moderator

NE

01-28-07, 10:48 AM   #4  
That would be a lot of work for not much gained, and I imagine that unless you have some real precise way of cutting that 1/2" slot, you'd end up with gaps anyway. If you're talking about doing that to the whole basement, I'd say no to the slot idea. If it's only a sheet or two that have already been hung on the walls, then maybe you could try it and see if it works well for you. It's pretty difficult to score a nice straight line that is 1/2" deep when you are that close to the ceiling.

Search this Thread