Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How do I get this type of paint texture?

Old 01-13-07, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I just bought a house and I would like to paint it with this type of texture? I'm not sure if I can just use a special roller. Here is the type of texture I'm looking for. http://photos.yahoo.com/vette87@sbcglobal.net

Thanks,
Raul

Old 01-13-07, 12:39 PM
D
Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums

I am not the pro here, but you WANT that texture? The photo is not your house? ...OR... you HAVE that texture on your walls and you want to paint the wall?

The texture itself does not come from any special roller. The one you show looks like knocked-down orange-peel texture. To get the effect, you have to prep the wall, use orange-peel texture and then use a rigid straightedge or finishing knife almost flat to the wall. You'll have to draw it across the half-dry orange peel finish .

In any way, the pros will chime in here, but since this was in the painting forum it seemed at first you wanted to paint this type of wall but after reading your post over and over again...I wasn't sure.

Old 01-13-07, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. The pictures were taken from a new home. This is the texture I want to add to my house. So orange peel is the correct term?

Thanks,
Raul

Old 01-13-07, 02:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Originally Posted by 300cman View Post
So orange peel is the correct term?
No, the texture is the pic is knockdown. Orange peel is a very light texture that is similiar to the skin/peeling on an orange

Knockdown is a splatter coat - big splatters of texture instead of fine - that is knock downed before it dries to flatten out the blobs of texture. Both are normally sprayed out of a texture hopper gun. Knockdown is usually a heavier mixture and is sprayed out of a larger orifice.

This is not a texture you can roll on. What is on the walls now? While spraying texture isn't overly complicated it is very messy!!

Old 01-14-07, 07:36 AM
D
oh yeah...my bad. I shouldn't have called it orange-peeled texture. Sorry! I mixed the terms "knock down" and "orange-peeled". Strike the orange-peeled! If you're going to do the whole house, it's going to be a big job but do-able. If it's a small area there are Aerosol sprays (comes in a can) that are available.

I'd like to know what kind of walls you have now too. Gotta pic?

Old 01-14-07, 12:11 PM
I believe the walls are semi-gloss. I will post pics after closing. I plan on doing the whole house. It's about 2500sq.ft. Wish me luck..

300cman

Old 01-14-07, 12:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The semi-gloss paint needs to be sanded prior to texture! If there is any texture on the walls now it might affect how the new texture looks - light or no texture shouldn't pose a problem.

Old 01-21-07, 10:17 AM
I
Smile texture

This isn't a spray texture. Orange peel and your basic knock-down are both sprayed on with a hopper. This is a hand texture. Although you might get close to this effect with .... troweling on mud and using a texture roller then knocking down but it won't be very close. This was more than likely applied with a hawk & trowel. I do all sorts of hand textures for a living ..... don't like to spray. Anyway, there isn't a paint you can buy to get this effect.

Old 01-21-07, 01:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I took another look at the pics and I still believe that it is a heavy knock down texture and not a hand applied skip trowel texture. Depending on the joint compound mixture and the knock down technique it is possible to get several different looking textures that are all still a knock downed splatter coat.

At any rate, I believe 300cman would be best using a knock down for his home since it is easier to do/learn than skip trowel is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: