Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Technique for laminating Sheetrock

NY

01-19-07, 06:17 PM   #1  
Technique for laminating Sheetrock

I am in the process of finishing my basement. Code in my town is for the utility room to have 5/8" Sheetrock. One of the walls of that room already has 1/2", so the inspector said I'd just need to add another 1/2" sheet to the existing wall. I'd like to laminate the new layer to the existing layer. What's the technique to do that? Just smear joint compound on between the layers, or do I need a contractor's adhesive? How much do I need? Will I need to supplement with any screws?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

01-19-07, 06:24 PM   #2  
Typically I see it simply screwed on over the first layer; no adhesive; definately no mud.

Currently where I am working, that is how they are installing it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-20-07, 05:22 AM   #3  
I agree, just be sure you use screws long enough to secure the new rock to the studs. You could also use 3/8" or 1/4" rock - lighter and easier to handle

If there are any elec outlets on the wall in question you will need to get box extenders from the elec dept. or elec supply store.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

KS

01-20-07, 06:11 AM   #4  
I would use drywall glue and screws. Probably need a couple of small ones tubes. Make sure you dont put the joints the same as its already hung. Meaning you have to stagger all your joints to make code.

Search this Thread