Firring For Drywall

Old 01-23-07, 05:51 PM
Firring For Drywall

I have a concrete block wall that I want to fir with 1x2's and then hang drywall. My question is: How far do I need to drive the T Nails into the conrete block? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Wayne

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-07, 06:51 PM
I don't know what framers use maybe a nail ram, but I would use a screw called Tap Con 1 1/2"-2". I believe that is right spelling. First you would have to use a masonry bit to drill the stud and then on into the block, the with another drill with a bit to fit the screw recess the screw flush on the stud. The screw would be slower that the nail ram but into block the nail ram could crack the concrete block. Put at least 4 screws/stud. You might want to check your local code but as a rule when attaching lumber to concrete the lumber should be treated. Reason is concrete will sweat and over time this will rot pine.

Old 01-24-07, 05:47 AM
Furring Strips

What nails do you have? I would use cut nails(2-2 1/2") and a 2 lb. hammer.
Another option is a powder actuated nailer.

Old 01-24-07, 05:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I like to use combination of cut nails and liquid nail. This wall is above grade, right?

Old 01-31-07, 04:47 PM
type Of Nails

Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I like to use combination of cut nails and liquid nail. This wall is above grade, right?
I am using t nails which are designed to be used with an air nail gun. How far do I need to go into the concrete with them if I'm using 1x2 firring strips.
Wayne

Old 01-31-07, 06:24 PM
You should post this in the basement forum. They always have good info. You need to be VERY careful about moisture/water problems.

BB

Search this Thread