Need help on my walls.

Old 01-24-07, 12:43 PM
Need help on my walls.

This is my first post and I hope I have it in the right place. I have a house that was built in the early 50's and I am having alot of cracking in the walls and ceilings. I replaced a couple of windows last year and noticed that the walls have what looks like sheetrock about 3/8" thick and then what looks like a plaster (crumbles real easy and looks like very tiny rocks or sand in it) layer about 1/4" over the sheetrock. Is there any way to remove the plaster type stuff and save the sheetrock or do I have to remove it all and hang new sheetrock? Or is there some way I can save the walls? I did notice when I pulled up the trim around the floor the walls crumbled around where the nails were and now I have big holes there.

Thanks...
Linda

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-07, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Linda

I doubt that your drywall is the same as the drywall you envision. There is more I don't know about plaster than I do know but you probably have a gypsum lath - basically narrow strips of drywall used inplace of metal or wooden lath.

I don't know if your plaster is worth saving but I'm sure it can be. Unless I felt I could repair the plaster I'd either laminate it with 1/4" drywall or rip it out , update any wiring or insulation and redrywall.

I'm sure one of our plaster pros will be along later to better help you.

mark

Old 01-25-07, 07:17 AM
marksr is right about what you have. 1/4" of plaster is too thin and that might be the cause of your problems.
It's very hard to remove plaster from gypsum lath and if you were able to you would find the lath are sheets 48" X 16" with the joints staggered. At that point you would decide to take it off too or else replaster to proper thickness.

Sometimes. however the plaster is thinnest at openings. It might be fine in the field.

The cracks can be repaired. It's pretty easy if the walls are smooth. If the walls or lid are textured you also have the problem of matching the texture. There must be dozens of posts here about repairing cracks. I won't type all that in again but nose around here and you'll find them. I think there were some within the past month.