frame new wall on hardwood floor?

Old 01-27-07, 03:03 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
frame new wall on hardwood floor?

I'm planning to frame a new master closet in one of our bedrooms. The floor of the bedroom has 3/4" hardwood over plywood subfloor.

Can I build the wall on top of the existing hardwood?

Also, can the top of the wall butt against the existing drywall ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-07, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yes, and yes. However, since your hardwood floor is somewhat active, meaning it can swell and contract (but not as bad a laminate), when you go to lay down your plates, screw them down with decking screws, remove the screws and overdrill the holes in the flooring to allow for the floor to do its thing, then either replace the screws or nail it down. Where the top plate meets the ceiling, you will have to nail it solidly into the overhead joisting for rigidity. If your long wall runs parallel to the joisting and does not hit a joist, it would be best to install blocking between the joists from overhead, then fasten the plate to them.

Old 01-27-07, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
Last week, I had to remove an old oak floor that had a wall built on top of it. It was no fun. While Chandler is correct and you can certainly do it, I'd recommend that unless there is some reason you can't do it, you mark out where the bottom plate is going to be then just use a skilsaw and cut out that portion of flooring so that the bottom plate can sit on the subfloor. The cut edge of the flooring will get covered by drywall and baseshoe in the end.

Of course, the only reason I suggest that is because I was about killing myself trying to reciprocate that flooring out without reciprocating right through the subfloor too.

Old 01-29-07, 05:21 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, those are good suggestions. I like the idea of cutting out where the wall will be, but I'll have to decide if I, or a future owner, may want to remove the wall in the future.