Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

painting over paneling

01-30-07, 08:26 AM   #1  
painting over paneling

We are considering renovating an older home which has had paneling installed over drywall. Is there a material which we can install over the paneling that will allow us to paint the walls, or do we need to remove the paneling and repair the drywall?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-30-07, 10:36 AM   #2  
Welcome to the diy forums!

You have several options. The easiest is to sand/clean the paneling, coat with a solvent base primer and 2 coats of latex paint. You could laminate over the paneling with 1/4" drywall [or any thickness] but this will require full finishing of the drywall plus altering any wood trim. Elec boxes will likely need extensions.

Removing the paneling should be fairly simple IF adhesive wasn't used. It may be easier to replace the drywall than deal with removal and repair of adhesive. There are also wallpaper liners than can be applied over paneling, I think some can be painted over.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

01-30-07, 12:17 PM   #3  
My whole house is (well, was ... 50% to go) wood panelling over drywall. If you do decide to remove the paneling, watch out, you could be in for more work than you bargained for. In two bedrooms, so much adhesive was used in my house that the drywall was totally ruined after I got all the paneling off. Rather than skim coat the entire wall(s), I ended up re-drywalling. It wasn't a total loss, as I was able to update insulation, install sound barrier insulation, and fix some incorrect electrical at the same time. It was just much more work than I had originally planned.

For my hallway, I got much luckier. The paneling was placed over wallpaper, so it came off without damaging the drywall. All I had to do there was fill in nail holes.

Good luck in whatever method you choose!

Search this Thread