Newby needs advice from drywall pros

Old 02-06-07, 06:57 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Newby needs advice from drywall pros

i am finally at the drywall stage of my basement project. Need some thoughts from some of you pros.

First, I know most drywallers swear by paper tape. What about the perforated self stick tape I have seen?

Also, what is the best to use for outside corners? Standard metal bead, vinyl corner bead, or the paper covered metal corner bead?

Please structure your advice considering the easiest thing for diyer to use.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 02-07-07, 06:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The sticky tape has a bad track record. Some say either using an extra adhesive or apply a setting compound over the tape will prevent problems.
Paper tape set in a good wet bed of joint compound, smoothed out tight always preforms well. You also have to have paper tape for the inside corners.

I've always used the metal corner bead.

Old 03-30-07, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
The sticky tape has a bad track record. Some say either using an extra adhesive or apply a setting compound over the tape will prevent problems.
Paper tape set in a good wet bed of joint compound, smoothed out tight always preforms well. You also have to have paper tape for the inside corners.

I've always used the metal corner bead.
The self stick mesh tap sits too proud and seems to require extra coats to cover it completely.

Old 03-30-07, 10:29 AM
R
I stick strictly to paper tape. After a little practice you should be ok. If you have never taped before, assemble a couple of scrap pieces of drywall and practice a bit. I also used metal corner bead until recently. I have been using the vinyl corner beads for a year and I find it does a good job as long as I apply the adhesive well.

Old 03-30-07, 02:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have used both fiberglass mesh tape and paper and can do either. With paper taping you want to make sure the mud is not on too thick so you don't have to squeegee out (with your mud knife) the excess trapped under the tape as you will wrinkle the paper! Very frustrating. Can see as beginner having fits. There is a fine line between the length of run you do at one time, and how much you put on, and the weather conditions (heat/humidity). The idea is you don't want the mud to dry out on you before you set the tape. And as stated, you don't want a pile of it under the tape either.

In using the MESH TAPE, obviously you don't have to first mudcoat before taping. You just tape. I will use spray adhesive where setting tape at certain times if the tape is not sticky enough. (I couldn't see doing a whole house with spraying the to-be-taped areas first, though.) Whatever yo do, you do not want to apply mesh tape over many joints and just let it set, like overnight before you mud coat over it. Good chance some of it will be starting to fall off the wall! (Been there, had that) For setting at least the first coat of mud over the meshtape, I prefer to use setting type Durobond,and I use PLASTIC putty knife (they come in many widths) so I don't cut the mesh tape in the inside of inside corner joints. This wil be the strongest joint you can get using the seting type Durobond. But it is unforgiving. You want to trowel off all the excess mud!. This stuff does not sand well!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: