popcorn removal

Old 02-07-07, 12:17 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
popcorn removal

I attempted to start removing my popcorn from the ceiling the other day and it did not go as i thought it would. It basically didnt go at all. I tried wetting it down and i mixed fabric softener in the water and still no luck. I am not sure if the ceilings have ever been painted. Any ideas?

Old 02-07-07, 01:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If it isn't turning loose with water it has probably been painted. Paint stops the moisture from penitrating and softening the texture. Try scraping the ceiling first and then misting it with water and see if that helps.

Old 02-08-07, 05:03 PM
I recently removed the popcorn from my house and one bedroom was painted. Put plastic everywhere, popcorn removal is messy. Score the popcorn with the edge of your tape knife about every three or four inches to break through the paint. Mix 1/4 cup of liquid dishwashing detergent with water to a three gallon sprayer. Wet the popcorn and be generous. This one bedroom (15x15) I used two gallons of water. Spray it and wait about 15 minutes. Spray it again, Use a drywall taping knife (10 or 12 inch) to scrape the popcorn off. Worked like a charm. I contracted out the texture to a pro, choosing to have it hand textured (Mission Medium). I painted the ceilings myself, you will need to put on a drywall primer and followup with a finish paint. Good Luck.

Old 02-24-07, 09:07 PM
J
Go to HD rent a drywall sanding machine with the vacuum attachment. You'll want to still cover everything with poly then sand away. once your done all that will be left are the corners that will require elbow grease.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: