2nd Layer Of Sheetrock?

Old 02-17-07, 06:26 AM
2nd Layer Of Sheetrock?

I am planning a bath remodel which includes the ceiling which is sheetrock with a pebble ceiling paint. Rather than remove the old ceiling, is there a problem with just applying another layer of sheetrock over the first?
(If this will work ok, any recomendations on a sealant or spray to cover the original ceiling to cut down on bacteria/mold under the new ceiling? How about the easiest way to remove/flatten the pebble finish?)
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-07, 07:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the pebble finish, popcorn or a splatter coat?

Usually you can scrape and sand off the majority of texture and then skim coat for a slick finish or retexture.

You can laminate drywall with new drywall - be sure to use screws that are long enough to secure to the rafters.

Is there a mold problem now? Any mold/mildew should be washed off before covering up with drywall. A fresh coat of paint w/mildewcide should prevent it from coming back. Maybe it's time to install an exhaust fan.

Old 02-17-07, 08:03 AM
Yes you *can* hang a second layer of drywall (it's done for soundpoofing all the time) but you are concerned about mold so I would look at that too. I am only familiar with new double drywall applications :-)

Old 02-19-07, 07:31 AM
Three layers of drywall?

I see you can hang two layers of drywall. i have a particular problem in that I need to hang a third layer to bring one wall level with another. Can you hang three sheets on a wall?

Old 02-19-07, 08:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be leary........... that's a lot of weight.

Old 02-24-07, 07:25 AM
You can hang as many layers on a wall as you want. Many times we hang 2 layers of 5/8 drywall to each side of a wall for fire rating. I'm currently hanging 4 layers of 1/2 type C drywall on a ceiling for fire protection. So as long as you are using a long enough screw there is no issue with adding an extra layer to a ceiling, or multiple layers to a wall.

Old 02-24-07, 07:32 AM
I forgot to mention that on the 3rd layer you want to install, if you can't locate the studs use some drywall to drywall screws they will hold plenty.

Old 02-24-07, 10:29 AM
nap
Originally Posted by Jampac View Post
I forgot to mention that on the 3rd layer you want to install, if you can't locate the studs use some drywall to drywall screws they will hold plenty.

drywall to drywall screws. can't say I've ever heard of them but I don't do drywall for a living either (is it still proper to call it drywall when it is on the ceiling. It would seem that to be a misnomer but dryceiling just doesn;t flow as well) (just being humorous, or at least attempting such).

can you describe or maybe find a pic on the net you could link. You have me curious now.

Old 02-24-07, 01:50 PM
I'm curious how the weight of 4 layers of 1/2" drywall affects the ceiling joists if they were designed for a typical 30 psf loading.

Old 02-24-07, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
I'm curious how the weight of 4 layers of 1/2" drywall affects the ceiling joists if they were designed for a typical 30 psf loading.
This is on a commercial apartment building which was designed to support the load. I do not recommend hanging 4 layers on any ceiling without it being designed to support the load ever. The screws I mentioned above can be obtained from local drywall suppliers, ask for laminating screws.

Old 02-25-07, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Let's settle down

The forums aren't a place to argue! and it benifits no one. It is true that 5/8" will lay flatter than thinner rock but that doesn't mean that 1/4" rock doesn't have it's place. A lot depends on what/why the original rock is being laminated.

Old 02-25-07, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the posts in response. Here is what I am planning on doing. I am not hanging on the ceiling but on a non load bearing wall on 2 by 4 studs 16 oc. I am using cut strips of scrap drywall for spacers and will hang the outer sheet on top of those, screwed into the studs of course.