New ceiling DW meets existing ceiling

Old 02-17-07, 08:27 PM
New ceiling DW meets existing ceiling

I'm planning a kitchen remodel, which includes tearing down soffits and extending the ceiling a foot or so. We'll also remove a wall between the kitchen a dining room. This means the new ceiling will meet an existing one (dining room).

How hard is it to match new ceiling texure with existing. I think the correct term the existing ceiling texture is "crows feet." How common is it for the colors to differ? I'm thinking if there is a noticable difference in color, we could just use a white ceiling paint to cover both areas, making them the same?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-07, 06:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A stomp texture [both crows foot and round brush] can be touched up but not as easily as a sprayed on texture that can be feathered in. The color will be different but paint will take care of that part.

For what it is worth an inperfect texture repair [if not real bad] may not be noticable, once painted, by anyone but you.

Old 02-18-07, 07:40 AM
Thehusker - I went throught eh same thing when we redid our kitchen. Removing a wall between the DR and kitchen left a transition that really concerned me. We had done a lot of work to remove swirl? texturing and popcorn on our ceilings and we wanted this highly visible area to match our perfectly smooth ceilings. We didn't want to redo both ceilings just to get a good match.

Bottom line. I'm a dedicated DIYer and I've done a lot of drywall but I chickened out here and hired a pro. The guy did an awesome job at a reasonable price. He also did it in a quarter the time that it would have taken me. I got no regrets.

Old 02-24-07, 08:45 AM
There is no doubt that you will have to repaint the entire ceiling. Like mentioned above matching textures is a next to impossible job to do right. Finding someone with lots of texture experience is probably the only way this will come out looking satisfactory.