Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Different types of joint compound

kylawyer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 49

02-20-07, 09:20 PM   #1  
Different types of joint compound

Finish my basement and am at the drywall stage. I noticed there are 3 types of joint compund. A green package product labeled all purpose joint compund, a blue packaged finishing compound and a topping compound.

Are they all used on a finish job? If so at what point are the different types used? If they are all differnt, which is best to use?

Thanks for your assistance.

Sponsored Links
marksr's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 42,811

02-21-07, 06:39 AM   #2  
The green lid is best for taping. It can be used for the complete job so if you only buy one 5, buy it. The blue and purple lids are for the finishing coats and aren't recomended for taping. You may find them a little easier to apply and sand.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Jampac's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 94

02-24-07, 07:13 AM   #3  
The color of the tops indicate the weight of the compound. Green is a lightweight product. Purple or red depending on the manufacturer is a midweight. Black is a fullweight product, old timers like to use black tops because you will get a smoother more durable finnish, this product is harder to sand and should not be used by a beginner for that reason. The green tops will be the easiest to apply and sand, but it does scratch very easy. The midweight is probably the better choice since it's more scratch resistant than the lightweight, and easier to work than the fullweight. The Proform red top is a good product, so is the Lafarge purple top plus the Lafarge product dries quicker. Hope this helps

Search this Thread