Paneling blues

Old 02-21-07, 11:04 AM
Paneling blues

I own a house that was built in 1977.It has paneling in almost every room.There is 1/2 inch sheet rock behind it .Can I take the paneling down and just finish the sheetrock.Or do I have to replace the sheetrock since it has been there for so long?Since my huband passed away two years ago .Ive been feeling that we need a change .Please help me so I can brighten up my dull paneled house . Oh and Im doing this myself .So I need to be as thrifty as possible.
Thanks
Denise

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-07, 12:21 PM
I just did the exact same reno you're speaking about.
30 year old house...ripped the panelling off.....cleaned the walls good with TSP...filled about 1000 panelling nail holes and now my house looks modern as ever.

Old 02-21-07, 02:39 PM
Well thats so great to hear .I didnt know if I had to start from scratch but yeah the panel nail holes are going to be a little rough .Thanks for responding .

Old 02-21-07, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
It's possible that some of the panelling has been glued on, which could be a nightmare- the glue will have to be scraped off the drywall making it real hard to tape.

It's also highly likely that the drywall was only taped with one coat of joint compound, and if so, a minimum of 2 more coats will need to be done.

Old 02-21-07, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While drywall looks nicer, if the paneling has been glued it can be a real nightmare to remove the adhesive as XSleeper said.

Another option is to clean and sand the paneling, coat with a solvent based primer and then top coat with your choice of paint.

Old 02-22-07, 09:32 AM
Nope no glue ....Phewww.I was really worried about that one. Now on the cleaning of the drywall.Should I use anything special ?Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-22-07, 09:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Has the drywall been finished? painted?

A damp rag may be all that is needed to clean the drywall. If nothing else you will need to patch the nail holes. It is best to push the nail area in slightly. This makes the hole easier to fill and sand.