Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

how to tell, concrete or wood framed behind drywall?

Old 02-26-07, 04:29 PM

Hi,
Fairly new to home renovations so i have a very basic questions...

I am attempting to mount my new lcd tv on my wall in my condo, but I am not too sure what is behind the dry wall. Just tapping on the wall, it doesn't give the hollow sound you hear in wood framed dyrwwalls...pretty firm actually... How can I tell? I pefer not to break anything down, but if that's the only option, i'll do that since i will eventuallky have to do it and fish some wires up the wall.

There is a electrical socket there, but when I removed it all i can see inside is the metal box.

I don't want to break the wall if i don't have to. Building is fairly new, anyone know if i need to get the building plans to see if the wall is concrete or not?

Appreciate any tips!
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-07, 05:23 PM
Mark the wall at the mounting location, drill a small pilot hole with a 1/8 bit. If you don't it anything use toggles, concrete use tapcons or a sleeve with fastener. If lucky you'll it a wood stud and only have to use a wood screw.

Old 02-26-07, 06:54 PM
Thanks Jampac. I'll try the pilot hole, i'm pretty confident the toggles will not go through...wall sounds very hard.... the wall mount kit for the lcd did come with some lag bolts, but instructions say the kit is meant for a stud, so i'll have to pay a visit to home depot here and see if i can get some anchors...