Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall Ceiling Joint

ME

02-27-07, 08:38 PM   #1  
Drywall Ceiling Joint

I am going to replace the ceiling in my basement stairway because the existing paneling is splitting plus I would like to lighten up the area since there are no windows.

The angled ceiling meets the upstairs landing ceiling at (about) a 135 deg angle.

Have never done any drywalling but think I can do a decent job with a standard joint, especially since I'll only have one to do. However, I'm not sure how to handle the angled joint. Should I cut the stairway drywall at the angle or should I just but them and try to fill the crack?

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

JimC

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-28-07, 04:03 AM   #2  
Jim: look at the home center for a coil box of flexible plastic corner bead. It is not rigidly fixed in the 90 degree configuration, so it will adapt to different angles, such as the one you are faced with. It will install similarly to the metal beads.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-28-07, 04:11 AM   #3  
No need to angle the cuts. Paper tape can be used but the flexable bead will make it easier to finish. Some like to finish those types of angles with a flexable,rounded, rubber knife which doesn't give a defined edge but will smooth out the joint nicely.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread