Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Getting rid of textured plaster ceilings

02-28-07, 04:35 PM   #1  
Getting rid of textured plaster ceilings

I have two rooms that have textured ceilings. The texture isn't the popcorn type but the type that has lots of little stalactites. I think the finish material is plaster. (The house was built in the 30's and has plaster and lath walls, as well as smooth plaster ceilings in the other rooms so I'm assuming plaster ceilings in these two rooms.)

Whater material was used to create the texture is beginning to flake and peel away around the center where the light fixture is. There is also a small piece cracked off in one corner and it looks like it might be lath showing through (it is taupe in color), but I can't be sure.

I'd like to get rid of the texture altogether and have smooth ceilings. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to approach this (besides hiring a professional)? Can I just scrape the texture off and somehow sand it smooth or skim coat it with something?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

02-28-07, 04:50 PM   #2  
I'm in the same boat as yourself. It's bag loads of work to do the skim coat idea. I'm going to fasten 1/4 inch drywall over my ceiling. However, 1/4 inch will require alot more screws than say 1/2 inch in order to stop it from sagging due to it's light weight. I figure a skim coat would be just as thick and probably just as heavy on the ceiling. The drywall is already smooth and would just require sanding on the joints.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-28-07, 06:00 PM   #3  
IMO it is best to scrape what you can and then skim coat.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

03-01-07, 05:14 AM   #4  
Posted By: marksr IMO it is best to scrape what you can and then skim coat.

I think you answered me in a similar post. I agree with your idea, however due to my lack of abilities in the art of plastering, I can see myself with a mountain pattern on my ceiling if I tried a skim coat. I myself have 266 sq ft of ceiling to do. Part of my problem is going from dining room to kitchen. There was a wall seperating it before. The kitchen is a flat plaster ceiling, the Dining room was swirl pattern and there's a slight height difference. I guess it would depend on the application, but I just don't want to make such a large job my first attempt at plastering.

Search this Thread