Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page > What type of laser level to put drop ceiling

What type of laser level to put drop ceiling

Old 03-01-07, 04:12 AM
What type of laser level to put drop ceiling

Do I need a special laser level to put the edge pieces of my drop ceiling up to get started, or can I just find the highest point I can go on the walls and then just work from there by leveling the laser on each wall and working around the room.

I hope this makes sense, I just prefer not to have to go out and get/rent a differnt laser level when I already have one.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-07, 04:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure what type level you have. I use a rotating laser mounted on a laser pole with adjustable table to which it attaches. Once the pole is set relatively plumb, I adjust the height and lock it in, then level the laser, setting the mark where I want it, and let it run. Since it is in the middle of the room, it isn't in the way.

Old 03-01-07, 05:03 AM
I just have on you put on the wall and level and hit the button to turn the laser on. Woudl this work?

Old 03-01-07, 05:07 AM
Sure it would. You will have to determine the height of the ceiling on one wall, attach the level and run that line, marking it intermediately with a pencil. Change walls and put the level where your last mark was, and proceed around the wall. If you end up with the last line matching the first line.....PLAY BALL! If not, make subtle adjustments in the lines as you go, as long as it isn't a large difference.

Old 03-01-07, 05:20 AM
Excellent, thanks

Old 03-01-07, 03:03 PM
nap
You also ustilize the level (rotary) as you install the grid as well. It is used to set the height of the grid as you attach it to the suspension wires.

If you don't do this, the wall edge can be perfectly level but the field can be all cattywampus.

A string can be drawn across from the edging but you have to do it every place you are installing grid pieces. A rotary level is much faster and easier and more accurate.

Old 03-01-07, 03:17 PM
Just remember to raise the rotary laser 1" when you are through with the outside walls. This will give a better view as to where to bend your support wires so they will fit into the main tees.

Old 03-01-07, 07:28 PM
What size room are we talking about, also sounds like you have a line laser if it's similar to mine you should be able to rotate from ehere it's anchored. What i'm saying is that with mine I set it at the height I want, then I shoot marks in all corners snap a line and voila. As far as leveling the mains clamp a jet line next to each mains as you frame it. Back to my original question if the room is 12'x12' or smaller use a level it will look fine.

Search this Thread