Hanging Drywall Any Spacing Required?

Old 03-02-07, 02:03 PM
Flyboy
Visiting Guest
Question Hanging Drywall Any Spacing Required?

Rookie here.. I'm up to the drywall hanging phase and need some good quick advice. In my research I found this web site that says to have 1/8"-1/4" space between sheets when hanging. Do ceiling first and then on the walls start at the top and do lower half last. http://www.doityourself.com/stry/installdrywall (Fig 4 in tiny print)

My first question.. does anyone else agree with this space between sheets or is it just as good to keep the sheets tight to ceiling & each other?

When I do the walls is it better to put the tapered edge next to the ceiling & cut the tappered edge off next to the floor or vice versa?

My dilemma.. If I cut off the tapered edge on top then I won't be able to cut the bottom tapered edge off so that the base board will have a straighter surface to mount & nail to. But if I cut off the tapered edge on the bottom next to the floor then I would think there would be more mudding where the ceiling meets the wall due to the tapered edge at the top.

If I could I'd rather cut the top tapered edge off and have less to mud then cover up the full sheet tappered edge next to the floor with the 4" base board.

Anything wrong with this thinking or approach before I do it??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-07, 03:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There really isn't any need for spacing between sheets BUT it is better to have a small gap than a forced fit.

As for where to put the beveled edge, it really doesn't matter. Easy to fill in when mudding and taping. While it would be prefferred to have the cut joint at the bottom, you can always use small shims [if needed] to get the baseboard to lay flat.

Old 03-02-07, 04:19 PM
how high is the ceiling?
besure to buy all the toolsyou need, and look into thr paper faced metal backed corner beads for in and out corners. since you new at this it will save youdays and sanity
also read this info from a drywall manufacturer- very good
and by the way -no spaces between drywall ,

http://www.cgcinc.com/pdf/howtos/J371.pdf
cheers
ryan

Old 03-02-07, 05:17 PM
Flyboy
Visiting Guest
The ceiling is 92" in the hallway and same under the trey ceiling in the 23'x12.5' room. Thanks for the good info. Will give it some more study time before I start hanging & mudding.

Old 03-03-07, 08:03 AM
Drywall

Do ceiling first. Then full sheet on top half of wall. Then cut edge of bottom sheet next to floor.

Old 03-04-07, 12:55 PM
Flyboy
Visiting Guest
Question

So if I have the tapered end up close to the ceiling and don't do crown molding up against the trey ceiling then would it be best to also use a beveled edge butting up to the beveled edge of the wall to make mudding easier?

I would think it would be harder to do a ceiling corner that has one or both beveled edges since it will need to be leveled with mud and sanded. On the other hand I will need to tape this inner corner so maybe doing it this way would make hiding the tape easier in the long run. I realize that one side of the ceiling (9'x20') drywall can't be beveled due to cutting to fit but the other side could be if it would make finishing easier.

Is this true... if possible is it better to make the ceiling corner be a beveled edge too or a butt joint to make finishing easier?

YoungMan... "and look into thr paper faced metal backed corner beads for in and out corners."

I didn't know you can use metal corner beads for inside corners is it special thin or what??

Old 03-04-07, 01:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Corners aren't as tricky to get a good job as joints in the middle of a wall/ceiling. It doesn't matter a whole lot if the corners have a beveled edge or not. Because of the angle of view a little recess or extra thick makes no big difference except possibly when hanging crown moulding. It is easier to finish if all of one side is the same - all beveled or all flush - doesn't matter if one side is beveled and the other not.

I'm aware of a metal backed paper tape for use with off angles [not the standard 90 degree] but have never heard of any one using it on regular 90` inside corners.

Old 03-07-07, 04:04 PM
Buy 8' drywall and hang standing up, you'll end up with all factory joints which are a lot easier to finish for a beginner. Always hang the ceiling first no matter what. BTW don't waste money on the metal embed tape, fold the paper tape carefully down the middle and pay attention when putting on wall and you'll be fine.