Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

L or J Bead, exposed edge in bathroom?

03-07-07, 09:20 PM   #1  
L or J Bead, exposed edge in bathroom?

My first question is that I am redoing my bathroom not by choice, water damage. Ended up tearing everything out and hanging new green board. For whatever reason my ceiling is not a full 8' so I cannot hang two full sheets horizontally. If I put up the top half first I will have to rip down the bottom sheet, effectively cutting off the tapered factory edge. This will leave an exposed edge about 1/4 to 1/2" off the floor. My concern is with this being a bathroom and there being lots of moisture, will it absorb moisture out of the air and off the floor with the exposed edge? Should I leave a factory edge at the floor or maybe cover it with a L or J bead?

My second question has to do with L or J bead. I am creating some stepped attractions, much like a racetrack ceiling. What kind of bead should I use to cover the exposed drywall edge, L or J? Do I have to finish (mud) the exterior faces (short legs) of either of those beads? Or should I use a paper type reveal facing?

Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-08-07, 05:53 AM   #2  
There shouldn't be a problem with the cut edge 1/2" off of the floor - it will be covered by baseboard or tile, which should provide adequate protection.

Not sure I follow you on the corner bead. Usually regular L shaped corner bead is used, covered with mud except for the very edge of the angle.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

03-08-07, 07:33 AM   #3  
Marksr,

Thanks for your prompt reply. In regards to the L bead, it would effectively look like this: ___| (not the best diagram but for demonstration). The long area is what you nail/screw/mud into the horizontal drywall and the short vertical edge covers the exposed drywall edge. Do I need to mud over the short side? Also, will I need to caulk between the top of the short side and the ceiling? That is why I asked about J bead also, it would wrap around the edge of the drywall maybe eliminating the caulk?

Thanks for any and all help!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-08-07, 01:31 PM   #4  
If I understand correctly you want to use a finish edge type corner bead to end the drywall. The finished edge doesn't get mudded, either one will work and both will look better with the gap caulked.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread