ceiling stain

Old 03-10-07, 12:05 PM
ceiling stain

Prior to having a new roof put on,my skylight leaked a bit in one corner and has stained the acoustic ceiling in our modular home.Is there any solution for removing the stain other than replacing the whole section or painting the whole ceiling.If I paint just the stained area it will not match the rest of the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-07, 12:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try a product like Kilz in spray form. It will prevent the telegraphing of the stain through paint. Once the Kilz is dry, you can paint it with a matching paint.

Old 03-10-07, 01:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is hard to get old ceiling paint to touch up. As suggested you must use a solvent based primer to coat and seal the stain to keep it from bleeding thru the new paint.

Old 03-11-07, 08:28 AM
I had a stained ceiling in my kitchen for years and even though we went over it with kills etc... the stain kept coming through the paint. a freind suggested "problock" primer by sherwinn williams, and it worked great! its been over 10 years and no stain to be seen.

Bernie

Old 03-11-07, 11:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As Marksr indicated, there are two types of Kilz, latex and solvent based. The solvent based id really the best to keep stains from telegraphing through the newly paint. I'll have to check out that problock. Always need good primers, right?

Old 03-11-07, 12:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
SWP has several primers in their problock line, one of which is very similiar to oil base kilz.