Wasn't what I thought

Old 03-12-07, 09:30 AM
Wasn't what I thought

This is an update to cement walls, paneling and drywall. I thought (and was told) that the row home I own had masonary walls. Though it may, the walls inside that form the living areas are, in fact, dry wall. I removed the paneling. There are three places where glue was used but all the rest was simply nailed. The walls are in very good shape so it appears that I just need to fill in the holes and have some minor repair work done. However, going up the stairway I found this yellow plastic-like material on part of the wall. I'm really not sure what it is. It's on a wall that runs in between the mine and the neighbor's house. I don't know if it is a moisture barrier or what. It's not along the whole wall, but most of it. It looks and feels like a sheet of plastic. Any one have any idea?

Also, there was an a dropped ceiling..though the drop was only about an inch! lol The tiles were 12''x12''. They were attaced to firring strips. I removed the tiles and the firring strips. The ceiling is in good shape except for an area where there appeared to have been a leak. Much of that was cut out but never replaced. I don't need to replace the whole ceiling do I? There are the holes from where the firring strips were nailed in.

Last edited by Ms Misha; 03-12-07 at 09:31 AM. Reason: wanted it to be coherent! lol
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 10:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Plastics often yellow when they age but I've no idea what you have. Can you post a pic?

You should be able to just replace the drywall that is missing. You may need to add nailers [wood] to insure you can secure it properly. Because there are no windows or furniture to break up the view, ceilings require good finishing to make the repair blend. Texture is often used to mask less than perfect finishing.

When patching the nail holes I like to take the corner of the handle on my drywall knife and indent the area surrounding the hole - this makes it easier to fill and hide the repair.

Old 03-12-07, 11:25 AM
Hi marksr, thanks for the reply.

I will take a pic when I go back to the house and post it. Honestly, it looks like yellow contact paper. This stuff, though I'm sure it has aged, definitely started out some shade of yellow.

Thanks for the tips for filling in the holes! I can't believe the difference already. There are two areas where I could not remove the paneling. Both because of the alarm system. In one area the keypad is attached to the wall, in the other one of the sensors. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get them off. They're on there pretty good. I thought about having someone the paneling from around them but of course that leaves me with a problem when it's time to refinish it all.

Another thing is the door ways have metal frames around them. Is it difficult to replace these with wood frames? Are there any disadvantages to doing that?

Thanks!

Old 03-12-07, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you want to change out the metal door frames you will have to remove the whole unit. This would also mean rehanging the door with a new jamb. I've never seen metal jambs in residential but they are often found in commercial bldgs.

Both the key pad and sensor should just be screwed into the wall. There are wires that connect everything but there should be some slack. You can get more info on security systems in another section of this forum - under electrical [I think}