Question about taping drywall joints

Old 03-14-07, 02:30 PM
Question about taping drywall joints

Just want to know how you deal with joint intersections. Do you just overlap a little. I'm not taping all i one day. IS it ok to overlap a dry tape run with a wet one. If overlapping is the accepted method of course.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-07, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure what you mean by overlapping. If you have intersections of sheetrock, you put one run of tape over it, in a bed of compound. It doesn't matter if you put a new run over an old one, as long as the old one is dry. You will have to do a build up to take into consideration the layers you are building, and in order to make it look smooth, the build up will have to be about 12" wide. Clarify your situation so we can help further.

Old 03-14-07, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Not sure what you mean by overlapping. If you have intersections of sheetrock, you put one run of tape over it, in a bed of compound. It doesn't matter if you put a new run over an old one, as long as the old one is dry. You will have to do a build up to take into consideration the layers you are building, and in order to make it look smooth, the build up will have to be about 12" wide. Clarify your situation so we can help further.
Thanks for the advice, I think that cleared things up. By intersecting joints, I mean where one sheet of drywall buts up against a sheet running the other way. i.e a 90 degree intersect. The tape would none the less form a 90 degree angle and I wanted to know if it was ok to run one strip of tape over the end of the other piece of tape to start a run ion the opposite direction. Hope that makes sense.

Old 03-14-07, 07:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As in an intersection of a ceiling and a wall, right? Yes, the overlap is ok, as long as you can achieve the smoothness you want. I usually draw one of my runs short in order not to have an overlap, and that doesn't hurt, either.
Paper tape is creased in the middle to form the 90 degrees to go in the corners. Using the mesh tape will drive you crazy, so use the paper.

Old 03-14-07, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, only paper tape.