Attach a wall to slab flooring

Old 04-07-07, 07:42 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attach a wall to slab flooring

I need to attach a freestanding wall to a concrete slab floor. The wall is to be 4 inches thick , 3 feet high and 4/5 feet long. It will serve as a backing of two cabinets and used to support a slab of granite uesd as a breakfast bar. The concrete floor is covered with ceramic tile.

My question how to permanently attach the wall to the slab. I would 'assume' that I should drill into the slab to place some bolts but i am unsure of how thick the slab is or if this is even the best way to go.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 04-08-07, 03:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Different situations call for different weapons. Yours, with tile already installed will not call for powder actuated nails, as they will shatter your tile. So you are right in drilling holes. Don't worry how thick the slab is, as it is at least 4" thick. Will you be stick building this wall? If so, drill holes in your bottom treated plate, scoring the tile below. Then take a Tapcon bit and drill holes in the tile and concrete and install Tapcon screws through in several locations to secure it to the floor. I am just worried about the thickness of the wall and it being top heavy once you install your granite. I am afraid it will tip over too easily and pull out the supports. And a breakfast bar 3' high ain't really high enough to sit behind

Old 04-08-07, 05:31 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Chandler's concerns are valid - so you will want to make sure your cabinets provide structural support as well. Instead of simply screwing them to the new wall, attach them to the floor as well with the same method you're using for your new wall using 2X4 stringers - this will help provide lateral support to the wall.

Old 04-08-07, 05:56 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My plan is to attach the two cabinets solidly to the wall. The cabinets will have granite countertops and a granite backsplash. The wall will rise higher than the cabinets to allow for the granite breakfast slab. I have three 6 inch corbels which I am bolting to th top of the wall for additional support.

I though this would be a pretty heavy and pretty solid system even without attaching anything to the floor but I have never done such and hence the reason I am asking for suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: