Heat Gun

Old 03-22-07, 07:53 PM
G
Gen
Received 16 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Heat Gun

Have any of you ever used a heat gun to speed the drying of spackle repairs? If so how do you go about it? What are the pros and cons of doing this?
Thanks

Old 03-23-07, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Heat won't help dry the spackle. In fact it may harm your curing efforts, since it will tend to dry the outside and not the inside. Try using the quick setting type drywall compounds. They come in 20,30, and 45 minute drying times, are powdered, and you mix them yourself. I use this all the time making small repairs, or repairs that I want to get done with several coats in a day. Saves alot of return trips to the jobsite. Their drying times are dictated, not by air, but by chemical reaction. Another advantage to the powdered consistency is they are storable. I keep a 1 gallon cleaned and dried sheetrock compound bucket on my truck all the time, so it is ready, and doesn't go bad like the premixed will.

Old 03-23-07, 05:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree with Larry on all points. If you need the repair to dry quickly, use a setting compound like durabond.

Even though durabond wil dry quickly, if you paint it as soon as it dries it may "burn" the paint [especially large repairs], another coat of paint after the repair cures will fix this.

Old 03-23-07, 05:17 PM
G
Gen
Received 16 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Thanks. I actually use sht rock 20 a lot. But came across 2 painters that use heat guns. One actually did my house--applied spackle, heated it dry, painted then moved to another room and did the same. It seemed to work for them. I had a fair amount of wall repairs.--they fixed them fast and were able to paint quickly afterwards.
I'm just not sure about their technique though.

Old 03-23-07, 05:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
This is the first I ever heard of anyone using a heat gun to dry spackling. Spackling usually dries fast and doesn't need to be fully cured before priming and painting. Normally if your painting several rooms, once your done with all the patching the first wall is ready for paint anyway.... and large repairs shouldn't be done with spackling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: