Popcorn ceilings

Old 03-22-07, 07:23 PM
Post Popcorn ceilings

How hard is it to get rid of popcorn ceilings. I am moving to a new house in a month and want to get rid of the ceilings. Is it as easy as getting it really wet and scraping it off? thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-07, 08:24 PM
hmmm, I'll let one of the more experienced guys handle this one, but honestly, I can't see how that wouldn't be a pain in the neck.

Old 03-23-07, 05:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the diy forums!

Removing popcorn texture isn't a complicated job but it's far from easy. It is true the scraping and wetting usually makes it come off easily but it is very messy!! If the popcorn has been painted it will be harder to remove but it can still be done. Painted popcorn should be dry scraped first and then wetted. Water turns texture back into a soluable state which means it will scrape off fairly easy.

Once the texture is removed you will need to skim coat the ceiling to both repair any damage you caused and to finish any drywall work not previously done.

Old 03-23-07, 05:49 AM
"I can't see how that wouldn't be a pain in the neck"
Ha ha...yes it is a pain in the neck from looking up so much...even when it's an "easy" one

To determine that, you'll need to find out if they are raw or have been painted
If they have been repainted, is it original "builder's" paint, or have they been repainted?
If they have been repainted, was it with latex, or oil?

If they are raw, it is a "simple" matter of wetting and scraping
Messy and time consuming, but do-able
The seems will also have to be joint compounded ("mudded"...and possibly re-taped if you mess up the tape during removal), as they most likely were not before the texture was applied

If it is simply the original builders paint, it should still be possible as described above, but it makes it a little harder and messier

If they've been repainted with latex, then it gets trickier
It may or may not want to come off
It depends on the condition and paint quality
Conceivably, it should still come off, eventually, but you could run into "is it worth it" issues

Popcorn ceilings do have a reputation for being difficult to paint
Often the first time painting the unpainted or builder's painted ones, the popcorn strips off onto the roller
For this reason, popcorn ceilings are sometimes painted with oil paint (which won't re-activate the popcorn)
If this is the case, it may still be technically possible to remove the popcorn, but most assuredly you would be at the point where it would be more cost effective to re-sheet rock, or sheet rock right over the existing popcorn

Old 03-23-07, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am pretty sure it is painted. I will have to do some looking into seeing what kind of paint it is and if its original. It always looks so easy on home improvement shows.

Old 03-23-07, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by bbry81 View Post
It always looks so easy on home improvement shows.
Ya they never show the whole deal. I cringe when I see them skipping important prep or using the wrong primer - wonder what those jobs look like 6 months later

Old 03-23-07, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by bbry81
It always looks so easy on home improvement shows.
It would be easy for you too if you had 3 - 6 pros helping every time the camera was in another room or you "went to commercial"

Lol

Old 03-23-07, 07:13 PM
BBRY1 - I removed 7 rooms of popcorn ceiling. I hate the stuff. It took two weekends and a couple of nights after work. Really messy, but not too difficult. We (3 of us) removed all the furniture, spread plastic tarps and started scraping using 6" knives.
Only one room had been painted. It was a powder room and after giving it a go, we decided it was easier to put new drywall on the ceiling rather than scrape the painted stuff.
Bottom line was that the ceilings looked great when we finished. The original DW installers had done a real pro job. I don't know why they sprayed that crap on over their good work.

Old 03-23-07, 07:38 PM
Old popcorn ceilings can contain asbestos, thus scraping is not an option. Covering ovear with drywall to encapsulate is recommended. The only way to know if you hve asbestos is to have it tested. Asbestos was outlawed after 1983, but that year is no guarantee.

Old 03-24-07, 05:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Asbestos was banned in 1978

I thought it was the late '70's but I had to look it up to be sure. 12pole is correct that all available supplies were allowed to be used up.

The main health hazard is the airborne dust.

Old 03-24-07, 07:22 AM
it cant be any older than 86. I did see in the garage what looked like a carton of popcorn ceiling texture. i will go in the house again this weekend so i can really look at it to see if its painted, and what kind of paint it used. i just think it is the ugliest stuff you could put on

Old 03-25-07, 04:36 PM
I went over to the house today. It is painted over with SWP Latex paint. I guess what i do is scrape it first then wet it down liberally and scrape again. Sounds like a long process but something i want to do. thanks for the help