Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Priming Drywall BEFORE Taping: Any Benefits?

Old 03-27-07, 05:10 PM

I had read or heard somewhere that if you prime your drywall before taping the seams and spackling over the screws that this helps avoid doing damage to the paper surface due to over sanding, thus reducing time spent on touchups. Is this true? Would this cause any problems with the joint compound when taping or using mesh?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-07, 07:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure you would benefit any by priming it first. True, it will keep you from oversanding, as primer is a bear to sand after a mistake. But sometimes you need the variance to make a good smooth joint or correct some problem. IMO, I would just install it, tape it, finish it, then prime. You have to prime your joints beyond their edges anyway, so in reality you will be double priming.
But I'm just a nail driver...our paint guru will chime in with his opinion, so go with what he says.

Old 03-29-07, 04:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree priming/painting the drywall will make it harder to 'fuzz up' the paper from oversanding but I don't believe it's worth the effort.

IMO you are better off refraining from oversaning. Personally I'd rather apply an extra coat of mud than do too much sanding