Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Basement ceiling soundproofing...

03-31-07, 09:00 AM   #1  
Basement ceiling soundproofing...

Does anybody have experience using those brown sheets of soundproofing material from the big box store?

I was thinking of putting it between the joists in my open ceiling basement, then running sheetrock over it.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Sponsored Links

03-31-07, 09:12 AM   #2  
I've used it in walls under drywall and it certainly helps although it should be referred to as sound deadening not sound proofing. To do a better job of sound proofing you would have to mechanically seperate the drywall from the joists - pretty difficult to do.

03-31-07, 01:29 PM   #3  
Posted By: Rockpro I've used it in walls under drywall and it certainly helps although it should be referred to as sound deadening not sound proofing. To do a better job of sound proofing you would have to mechanically seperate the drywall from the joists - pretty difficult to do.
Thanks Rockpro!

Also, what do you use to cut this stuff? And what do you use to adhere it to wood? I am guessing construction adhesive?

Thanks again.

03-31-07, 03:18 PM   #4  
It cuts with a standard sheetrock knife (you can use a handsaw if you don't mind dulling the saw). Use a few roofing nails or 1 1/4" drywall screws. Don't forget to use min. 1 5/8" screws if you apply drywall over it. Good luck

04-01-07, 09:37 AM   #5  
Posted By: Rockpro It cuts with a standard sheetrock knife (you can use a handsaw if you don't mind dulling the saw). Use a few roofing nails or 1 1/4" drywall screws. Don't forget to use min. 1 5/8" screws if you apply drywall over it. Good luck
Well, I went ahead and installed some of the sheets. I just scored them like drywall with a utility knife and held up with roofing nails like you said...worked perfectly!

Thanks!

04-01-07, 12:31 PM   #6  
I am unfamiliar with the product you are talking about but you can hang drywall on Z channel to help reduce sound. You can also hang multiple layers of drywall. Mass = quiet

Search this Thread