Basement ceiling soundproofing...

Old 03-31-07, 09:00 AM
Basement ceiling soundproofing...

Does anybody have experience using those brown sheets of soundproofing material from the big box store?

I was thinking of putting it between the joists in my open ceiling basement, then running sheetrock over it.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-07, 09:12 AM
I've used it in walls under drywall and it certainly helps although it should be referred to as sound deadening not sound proofing. To do a better job of sound proofing you would have to mechanically seperate the drywall from the joists - pretty difficult to do.

Old 03-31-07, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Rockpro View Post
I've used it in walls under drywall and it certainly helps although it should be referred to as sound deadening not sound proofing. To do a better job of sound proofing you would have to mechanically seperate the drywall from the joists - pretty difficult to do.
Thanks Rockpro!

Also, what do you use to cut this stuff? And what do you use to adhere it to wood? I am guessing construction adhesive?

Thanks again.

Old 03-31-07, 03:18 PM
It cuts with a standard sheetrock knife (you can use a handsaw if you don't mind dulling the saw). Use a few roofing nails or 1 1/4" drywall screws. Don't forget to use min. 1 5/8" screws if you apply drywall over it. Good luck

Old 04-01-07, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Rockpro View Post
It cuts with a standard sheetrock knife (you can use a handsaw if you don't mind dulling the saw). Use a few roofing nails or 1 1/4" drywall screws. Don't forget to use min. 1 5/8" screws if you apply drywall over it. Good luck
Well, I went ahead and installed some of the sheets. I just scored them like drywall with a utility knife and held up with roofing nails like you said...worked perfectly!

Thanks!

Old 04-01-07, 12:31 PM
I am unfamiliar with the product you are talking about but you can hang drywall on Z channel to help reduce sound. You can also hang multiple layers of drywall. Mass = quiet