Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Will an oil based primer cover rusty nail-heads from a drywall job?

04-01-07, 01:02 PM   #1  
Will an oil based primer cover rusty nail-heads from a drywall job?

So, I have a project that, of course, has taken way too long...but maybe my procrastination has payed off! A simple job really - removing old wood wall paneling that was on top of drywall/gypsum. Then I patched/taped the underlying drywall. During this, I countersunk the original nails that held the sheetrock in place, and maybe I sunk a few of the paneling nails, too.

Then life gets in the way and the project sits for a few weeks...OK, a month.

So today, I go back to do the third spackle coat, and see that in a few areas, some of nailheads have rusted through the spackle. You could also say that the spackle has a rusty color to it where it is covering a nail. I guessing it was the moisture in the mud that oxidized the nails.

I plan on putting an oil-based primer on the walls (Kilz/Bulls1-2-3, etc). Will that prevent the rust from seeping through? Should I be more concerned than I am? I don't want to paint this sucker and then have brown dots every 16"!

If anyone has experienced this before, let me know how I can best proceed.

Thanks!

T

Sponsored Links

04-01-07, 01:59 PM   #2  
You think you're the only one that gets sidetracked? I sand off the rust stain - it's really only on the compound, then spackle with as many coats as needed. Wouldn't hurt to prime with Kilz or similar (actually not an oil base but rather an alcohol base. That is why it dries so quickly and gives you such a bad headache if you don't adequately ventilate!) They now make a water base product also. I tried it recently and it was great. No long term results in yet.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-02-07, 04:34 AM   #3  
I'd only trust a solvent based primer to hold back the rust. You shouldn't have any future problems once the rusty areas are primed with either an oil base or pigmented shellac primer.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

04-02-07, 04:41 AM   #4  
Thanks

Thanks for the advice - I"m probably going to spot-patch with M/H Ready Patch & cover with a decent oil primer.

Search this Thread