Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

popcorn ceiling <1%chrysotile Can I still scrape it myself?

Old 04-05-07, 06:24 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I do the wise thing and test the acoustical ceiling before removing the popcorn and it comes back postive for asbestos as above.(bummer!)

Apparently this (<1%) is "borderline" but with 2 small kids in the house I am wondering if I can still scrape it myself. Anyone here know what level exactly is okay? I have it in the living room where a knee accidentally slipped through the attic and must do something one way or the other.

So far my choices are:
Do it myself.
Hire out the removal to the HazMat guys at $3/sq ft, living room minimum but entry hall and dining room also have it.
Cover it with new sheetrock, estimate for over $2K and doesn't include paint plus I lose 1/2 inch of ceiling!

I did talk to the lab but the information was so conflicting that I guess they did not want to commit to anything but the tech said they usually see >3% and up to 10% so it sure seems like <1% is tempting to do myself.

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions!

Old 04-05-07, 06:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums!

If I'm not mistaken asbestos is only hazardous in the dry powder form [where you can breath it ] If you wet the texture well [makes it easier to remove too] and do a good job of containing the mess you should be ok. Be sure to wear a respirator or at least a dust mask to protect yourself. Seal off the rest of the house and remove all the debris before you let the kids back in that room. You may need to contact local authorities for info on disposing of the asbestos.

It might be possible to just repair the damaged area and retexture the repair. The new texture won't have asbestos but should blend decently with the old texture so that once it's painted the repair shouldn't be seen.

Old 04-05-07, 06:43 PM
T
Popcorn removal is a big undertaking and very messy and time consuming. If popcorn has been painted, it's a pain to get off because the secret to getting it off is that it has to be wet. Using a paint stripper, one of the thick gel types that does not drip, would keep it wet for a long period of time and then you could scrape off the area you need. Scraping and sanding is not good whether you have asbestos or not because of the dust. Too, paint may be lead paint. Proceed with caution, as you do not want asbestos fibers or lead released into the air. <1% is good, but still proceed with caution. The easier and safer way would be to repair the damaged area and retexture.

Old 04-05-07, 08:37 PM
J
Rent an electric sander with vaccum attachement from HD or other. Send the kids to the zoo or museum with the wife. Sand away be careful to not hold sander in same location for too long or you'll sand through the compound under the popcorn. Scrape hand sand corners make sure vaccum all dust before family returns. I forgot one thing make sure to isolate the rooms you plan on working in from the rest of the house, poly all openings don't forget vents if you have central heat, once you enter the work area seal it shut and try to not exit until all is done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: