do I have to drywall ceiling first?

Old 04-12-07, 04:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
do I have to drywall ceiling first?

Is it imperative that I drywall the ceiling first? I know I am supposed to, but I still need to get my electrical run & inspected. What would be the consequences if I didn't? I'd like to put up just a couple walls of my bathroom, that have access from the other side, so someone can have some privacy if nature calls.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-07, 04:33 AM
T
For privacy, tack an old sheet or drop cloth on studs.

Old 04-12-07, 05:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 227 Posts
Walls can be hung first but it is easier [and a little better] for the ceilings to be hung first. When the ceiling is hung first the walls [when hung] will help to support the perimenter of the ceiling. Depending on framing, it may be harder to nail/screw the drywall ceiling to the rafter/joist when 1/2" is already used by the wall's drywall.

I like 12pole's suggestion to use a temporary wall for privacy.

Old 04-12-07, 06:46 AM
W
I would put up one of those cheapo heavy plastic tarps. Get the electric ready for rough in inspection and then do the drywall.

Old 04-12-07, 10:52 AM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Drywall

If you must put up one side of the walls first, you could use small pieces of drywall as spacers to drop the wall pieces the proper distance from the ceiling. Then you could install the ceiling drywall correctly at a later date. Not as easy, but possible.

Old 04-12-07, 11:34 AM
Wink

Why cant you put the drywall ceiling up on the bath now. It cant be that big that you cant see over and around it to run the electrical & get it inspected. It will still be open like from the other rooms????

Old 04-12-07, 05:10 PM
J
The only reason to hang the ceiling first is because it's easier to butt the drywall to the ceiling then the other way around. Hang the wall and do your business in peace and quiet knowing that no one can peak.

Old 04-13-07, 07:47 AM
D
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Why cant you put the drywall ceiling up on the bath now. It cant be that big that you cant see over and around it to run the electrical & get it inspected. It will still be open like from the other rooms????
I think I'm going to hang it. It is accessible, I was just going to make it easy on the inspector to just look up & see my cable runs rather than climbing into the tight attic to see them. From the sounds of it, I'll be lucky if he even comes out to inspect it at all.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 04-13-07, 12:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
I was just going to make it easy on the inspector ..... From the sounds of it, I'll be lucky if he even comes out to inspect it at all.
Whether he comes out or not you have to get him to sign off on the permit or he can come back later and make you rip out walls so he can inspect
If your ready for inspection and sure you will have no issues - hound him until he comes out.

Old 04-13-07, 03:52 PM
J
Unless you get a really friendly inspector you can nix him going up in the attic to inspect. The whole point of the inspection is to make sure everything is o.k. before drywall install. If you cover up something he wants to look at he's going to make you take it down.