ceiling help long

Old 04-12-07, 12:17 PM
ceiling help long

I have a 14x25 living room with a slanted ceiling, height of ceiling goes from 8ft to 10 feet. the long way, in other words, 25 the feet on one side is 8feet high and on other wall opposite, 25 foot wall is 10 feet high. Hope you can understand that..LOL
I bought this house unfinished and thought I would just put up some drywall..then it dawned on me, the ones that started this place, put dropped ceilings in all the other rooms, and may not have put enough supports to hold the weight of drywall.
I could tear down all the silver insulation that is my ceiling now and put up more support beams, to hang the drywall. but am looking for a cheap but good way to make it look good. I am disabled so money is a big issue and the fact of doing the work, I need something really simple.
This was a single wide Mobile Home and they added on, if that helps.
Any ideas or suggestions would be really needed and thanked.
Jennifer

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-07, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Jennifer

What does the ceiling/roof framing consist of? How is it supported on the MH side?

Are the drop ceiling panels only in the original MH part of your home? What year MH is it?

Old 04-13-07, 07:14 PM
the mh was a 70 something, (not sure its not labeled as mh no more so not on paperwork)...it was a 60x14 now the house is a 104x30. the original mh still has its ceiling. when they added on they put one single stanted roof over the whole place. the high part over the mh. I have support beams all along the middle of the house witch seperates it a bit understand? not sure if that helps any? I think I could send a pic if there is anyplace to send one.
I am not good at explaining at all.. sorry.
Thank you

Old 04-14-07, 05:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pics can be posted using free services like photobucket.com and supply the link.

Do you know what size lumber was used for the roof rafters? 2x4s? 2x6s?

Old 04-14-07, 12:29 PM
they look like 2x6..I tried to send a pic of what the beams looked like., what my living room looks like, and the outside slant of the roof. Will get more if that would help any. hope I did the photobucket web site right. (and thanks for the site by the way.)
Also, I really appriciate your patience and time. This is only one, of the huge jobs I have to do. And yes I know about the outside needing siding..LOL Thats another on my long list.

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u188/givenwolf/

Thank you
Jennifer

Old 04-14-07, 03:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks like it would be ok to hang drywall directly to the rafters - it should be stout enough. I suppose you could get up on the roof and see how solid it feels from above.

Since you mentioned the siding I couldn't tell by the pic if there was flashing or not at the 8' level where the 2 panels meet. To prevent rain infiltration the upper pieces of siding [where they meet the lower] need to either overlap or have flashing. If you reside with a different type of siding [lap siding or vinyl] this wouldn't be an issue.

I know you would like to get the living quarters done first but it would be shame for a rain water leak to ruin your hard work on the inside.

Old 04-15-07, 09:53 AM
Thank you so much.... And I really agree, with the hard work getting ruined if outside not taken care of first.
I did have my roof inspected (by a licensed roofer) and was told that it is was very sturdy, (but that, to me, means my roof is great, I had no idea about the inside, DUH! thats how I feel now LOL) and he said they did great job on the building.
He didn't mention the flashing, but did say gutters would help alot though. So I might be making mistake, by assuming, it has flashing, I will have to check it out.
Well, now I guess I can go ahead and make some T-posts to raise the sheetrock. Wish me luck, I am hoping to get this done within the next month. When it is I will post new pic.
AGAIN THANK YOU
Jennifer

Old 04-15-07, 05:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not much luck required for drywall work - does require lots of elbow grease

have fun!

Search this Thread