Just removed paneling. What do I do?

Old 04-15-07, 06:21 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just removed paneling. What do I do?

Just bought a house and removed some paneling. Behind I found Furring strips (don't know if that is the right spelling) They were nailed through drywall that was covered with wallpaper. What are my options?

Old 04-15-07, 06:31 PM
R
Depends on your goals. You could remove the strips, remove the wallpaper, patch the drywall and paint - or put up new wallpaper, or put up new panelling

Old 04-15-07, 06:40 PM
P
no wallpaper or paneling!!

My wife wants to paint. Which is more economical? Nailing drywall straight to the strips which are probably nailed straight into studs or removing the strips and patching the holes?

Old 04-15-07, 06:57 PM
R
If by economical you mean money or labor, then patching is the answer. Costs less to remove stuff than to add it and takes less time too. Of course it depends on how hard the wallpaper will be to remove, your abilities in regards to spackling, and the level of perfection you (or your wife) will accept. A patched wall is always a patched wall but a new surface is a blank canvas on which to work.

Old 04-15-07, 07:01 PM
P
wallpaper is very old and elastic.

The wallpaper has an elastic feel and is easy to pull off. On Wednesday my brother is coming over to take a look and give me his opinion. We just bought this house so money is an issue. We have two more months on our lease in our apartment so we have time, Thanks for the advice

Old 04-15-07, 07:08 PM
R
Happy to help. Please post back to let us know how it is going

Old 04-16-07, 04:40 PM
B
First (and easiest and cheapest option): remove the furring strips and remove the wallpaper. Then prime and repair the walls. Prime again and then topcoat.

Second option: Remove the furring strips then cover with new 1/4 inch drywall, prime and paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: