Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

proper use of greenboard

04-16-07, 11:44 AM   #1  
proper use of greenboard

i'm halfway through drywalling a bathroom using the moisture-resistent drywall, but have since read what seem to be conflicting uses for it.

i had planned on using the greenboard for the ceilings and all walls, except for the tub/shower surround, where i'm attaching fiberglass panels (i'll attach them directly to the studs).

on the ceiling, i had attached strapping 16" o.c. in addition, i have kraft-faced insulation (facing inward) in both the ceiling and the one exterior wall.

before i finish the job, can anyone let me know if:

1. i'm correct in using greenboard througout the bathroom?
2. specifically, whether it's ok to use greenboard on the ceiling?
3. it's ok to have a vapor retarder (kraft-facing) behind greenboard? i've read that the greenboard is it's own vapor retarder, so when combined with the kraft-facing, vapor will pass through the greenboard and condense on the other side, causing it to rot.

in general, i'm confused as to when greenboard is actually appropriate

thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-16-07, 03:12 PM   #2  
IMO using greenboard is a thing of the past. It was a decent backer for tile [prior to cement board] when a mud and lath backing wasn't used. Painting drywall with a latex enamel gives it all the protection it needs in a bath. Regular drywall also tends to paint better than green board.

I don't know about vapor barrier and greenboard hopefully someone smarter than me can answer that part

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MO

04-16-07, 03:30 PM   #3  
The paper V/B and green board is ok . Any tile you are going to do Id for sure use cement board under it. Also have you seen the new dry wall board has no paper on it and they say no mold can get into it. Most codes call for green board in the bath.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-16-07, 04:07 PM   #4  
Posted By: Ed Imeduc Most codes call for green board in the bath.

I'm not sure that they still do, if they do it isn't enforced.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CT

04-17-07, 06:37 AM   #5  
The paper free board is available at big boxes. It doesn't cost much more than regular drywall. Supposedly no paper means no mold. I don't know how well it accepts paint. A good coat of paint and good ventilation will go a long ways towards solving bath moisture/mold problems.

If I were redoing a bathroom I would probably give the paperless a try.

04-17-07, 08:48 PM   #6  
You're fine, greenboard in the bathroom is standard procedure. Like mentioned above don't use it as a tile backer, other then that use it on every wall.

KS

04-18-07, 02:02 PM   #7  
Your not supposed to use greenboard on ceilings with joist spacing more than 12" because of sagging. Use it on walls.

CT

04-18-07, 04:05 PM   #8  
I don't think many DW contractors in my area use green board any more. It was supposed to be less vulnerable to mold in high moisture areas, but from what I've read them little mold critters like green paper just as much as the white.
It's no longer code required where I live. It's not prohibited, just not mandated. IIWM I would probably use paperless or regular wallboard. The best defense against moisture is paint anyway.

Search this Thread