Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Never Done Before

CAL

04-20-07, 11:10 PM   #1  
Never Done Before

Can anyone tell me how I go about applying "popcorn ceiling texture"? I have the dry mix. Can this be done with out a "hopper"?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-21-07, 04:02 AM   #2  
You will need a hopper in order to spray the mix. However, I can't recommend applying the popcorn to the ceiling. It is probably one of the worst coatings ever invented. Today, knock down ceilings look so much better, and you can paint them in a few years if you want to, whereas with popcorn, it will peel, rub off, gather dirt, and generally look poorly in a few years, and it can't be cleaned, nor painted effectively without loss of the texture.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-21-07, 05:48 AM   #3  
I agree, personally I detest popcorn, probably because it is a pain to paint!

Popcorn does hide more than other types of texture and is probably a little easier to get good looking results with. If you decide to use popcorn follow the mixing directions on the bag. Don't overfill the hopper or it will pour out on you when you raise it to spray the ceiling. I assume you know the hopper gun is powered by an air compressor.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread