CeilingMax vs. CeilingLink

Old 04-23-07, 08:45 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CeilingMax vs. CeilingLink

I've been searching the forum posts for threads referring to CeilingMax, and/or CeilingLink products. I've seen good information and bad information about both (although more good than bad, by a long-shot!). What I haven't seen is any comparison of the two, from those who have experience. The main difference I see, besides the obvious difference of price, is that the CeilingLink system doesn't "snap" together. It's more of a floating system, which might work better for me, as I'm not sure the 2x10 joists in my 50's era house will all be straight and level. I'm worried, though, that this floating effect may make it difficult to make everything stay aligned properly.

Does anyone with experience in these products have any thoughts?

-Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-07, 07:47 AM
C
It's been a few months since I posted this question, and I'm getting close to the time to install. Maybe in the time that has past someone has gained some experience/thoughts on this topic?

Thanks!

Old 08-06-07, 03:57 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The drop ceilings I have installed were done using the traditional metal snap together kind. It is hung from the rafters rather than screwed to them. When you put it up, you need to leave a little room to be able to get the panels up and in (3-4 inches). If you start with a level strip across one wall, you only need a level to set the opposite side. the cross beams snap in and you level as you go. Set your hangers and wire to support the thing and cross check for level as you progress. I consider it a definite DIY project and one you should have little difficulty doing. Just remember (like floor tile) to center the tiles on the ceiling. You want the same size cut going around the room to make it look centered in the space.

Good Luck

Old 08-06-07, 04:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Wow, how did this one slip through. Hope I can give a little insight. I have not used the Ceiling Link, but it appears similar at first sight.
The only drawback I have encountered is once the ceiling is in, it is IN. You have no access to anything above, like you would with a standard drop in grid ceiling system. It is something to think about if you have water, electrical, HVAC, drain, etc overhead in that area. Reposting, hopefully will draw some more information for you.

Old 08-06-07, 04:39 PM
M
We're working on a remodel project to transfer our two car garage into a rec room. It was built in the 50's and we'll end up with a 7'-4" ceiling. Since we're doing almost all the work we're going with a ceiling tile to grid system either Ceiling Max or Ceiling Link. I went to the Ceiling Max web site and used their planner/calculator for both systems in figuring the cost. Total sq. ft. - 466

Ceiling Max = $518.49
Ceiling Link = $378.00

With Ceiling Max you have (4) diferent parts - Wall brackets, Top Hangers, Cross Tees and Runners. On the plus side your Cross Tees are pre-cut. On the downside you do have (4) different parts and may need to order extra or else. However Lowes does carry them. Seems well made and reviews have been positve.

With Ceiling Link you basically have (2) parts, Ceiling Link and L Channel. The L Channel is for your outer wall. The Ceiling Link is for your main runs top and bottom along with your cross tees. Downside is you do have to cut your own cross tees. On the plus side you only have two parts to order and you use one part for basically the whole grid top and bottom so no need to worry if you're short of anything. However you cannot find it locally, only vai online and shipping can run you an extra $20 to $50 I guess.

From the pictures I've seen and reviews I've read you can't go wrong with either. I have read the person who handles Ceiling Max provides excellent service and will help answer any questions you have. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kenny J

Old 08-06-07, 07:13 PM
J
I used ceiling link in my basement and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. It was extremely easy to work with and you can remove tiles later for access if need be ( this is a little painstaking but if you have to... beats sheetrock)

I don't think ceiling max was any better based on what I saw at homecheapo and shipping was not an issue, it still was a lot cheaper to go with. I can send pics if anyone is interested.

Old 08-06-07, 07:55 PM
J
Incase anyones interested.
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/buffbat/?action=view&current=DSC00937.jpg

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/buffbat/?action=view&current=DSC00941.jpg

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/buffbat/?action=view&current=DSC00940.jpg

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/buffbat/?action=view&current=DSC00934.jpg

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/buffbat/?action=view&current=DSC00933.jpg

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/buffbat/?action=view&current=DSC00935.jpg

Old 05-26-13, 11:59 AM
J
Want to bump this thread to see what people think of these 2 systems 5 year later.

I am finishing my basement, it only has 7' of room, now less 3" from the floor, so having a drop ceiling is taking too much room.

CeilingMax is more expensive, don't know if it worth it or not.

Also, read somewhere that you CAN"T take the tiles out easily with these systems like you can with a drop ceiling? I thought that was the whole idea?! Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-26-13, 12:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Most of the posters are not active. You may be able to send them a PM, if they are still registered and have that feature turned on. They can respond directly to you on it. My statements remain the same.

Old 05-26-13, 06:14 PM
J
Wasn't necessarily looking for the same posters, but just new info on the 2 systems...Thanks.