Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Skim coat over paint

04-30-07, 12:25 AM   #1  
Skim coat over paint

I would like to skim coat over a wall that has a very course orange peel texture. I'm not sure if it is plaster or stucco. My question is will the joint compound stick to the paint as is or do I have to rough up the surface more? Also... this house is in Los Angeles so could an earthquake cause the skim coat to crack and chip off? Thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-30-07, 04:59 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

Joint compound will stick fine over paint. I've never been to California but would assume that during an earthquake the skim coat would stick ok between coats of paint.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-30-07, 05:03 AM   #3  
Are you trying to cover cracks in the ceiling? You didn't say so, but I get the idea you may be. A skim coat may not give you the results you want. But, as Marksr says, it will stick. And cracking skim coat would be my lowest priority in the event of an earthquake, sorry.

KS

04-30-07, 07:51 AM   #4  
Use all purpose mud for the first coat. It will stick best. You can use lightweight over that.

05-01-07, 10:38 PM   #5  
Thanks for the advice. There aren't any cracks, just a very course texture with visible repair spots

Search this Thread