help (Drywall Repair)

Old 05-07-07, 11:45 AM
help (Drywall Repair)

my entry way had wall paper and then when i pulled that off with no prob. there were 2 more layers.when i pulled them off the drywall came off and plaster and i dont know what else and what looks like soft cardboard is showing through. what should i do without having to drywall this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-07, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the diy forums

Sounds like you also removed the drywall face and some of the gypsum. It might be easier to replace the drywall if there is a lot of it in that condition.
To repair what you have you need to first coat any exposed gypsum with a solvent based primer. This will prevent the water in joint compound or latex paint from further disolving the gypsum or lifting the surrounding paper. After the primer dries apply either j/c or a setting compound. Setting compounds dry quicker but are a little harder to work with. They can also be applied a little heavier without cracking. Multiple coats of j/c will also work without the major shrinkage [cracks] caused by too heavy a coat of j/c.

After all the bad spots are filled in, sand and reapply as needed. Once smooth it will be ready to dust, prime and paint.