Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Can I remove knockdown ceiling texture?

Can I remove knockdown ceiling texture?

Old 06-24-07, 06:19 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can I remove knockdown ceiling texture?

Or am I crazy? I would like to be pleased with our ceilings as they are but the workmanship was less than good and so they have lumps and more texture here than there. Really this is a hard topic to find anything on! What can I do? Thanks!

Old 06-25-07, 04:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Just so we are thinking alike, is it really knockdown, or popcorn? Knock down usually is subtle and can be painted over. Removing knockdown will be a real challenge. Redoing the knockdown with a more pleasing pattern may be your best bet.

Old 06-25-07, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
It would be difficult to remove the texture but it shouldn't be too hard to cover it up. Scrape and sand what you can and then skim coat over the texture.

Old 06-25-07, 11:12 AM
M
Question Thanks for your help!

It is not popcorn. I am wishing it were at this point, as it sounds pretty much impossible to get a good smooth ceiling from a knockdown texture. Am I hearing y'all right?

Marksr, when you say "skim coat" what do you mean exactly?

Old 06-25-07, 01:37 PM
B
apply a "skim" coat of drywall mud over the top of the texture to get all the peaks and valleys flat, then start over with a new texture, or leave it un-textured.

Old 06-25-07, 05:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
^yep^ that's about it - skim coat = thin coating of joint compound. Basically all you need to do is fill in the low spots with j/c and lightly sand when dry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: