How strong a header?

Old 07-24-07, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile How strong a header?

Hey, love this website. My question is , I am wanting to remove an interior wall and I have been told I can do it with a header running from one part of it(which is a doorway) to the exterior wall. About 11 ft. long. In the attic is double 2x10's and 2x12's running along the center length of my rectangular house w/hip roof. I think these are the main supporting pieces of the house/roof/ceiling. the wall runs perpendicular to these 2x's. Ok, does this sound feasible to you? and my other question is do I really need the very strong versalam(microlam) beams to span this? Basically I believe it is a load bearing wall, holding up a couple of these ceiling headers i mentioned above. Also the ceiling joist just run along both sides of the ceiling headers i mentioned in the attic on both sides of them. Or can i just use a couple of 2x10's or 2x12's with 1/2 inch plywood to make the new beam header?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-07, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 222 Votes on 205 Posts
If it was me, I'd use the carpenter's rule of thumb: If a 2x12 header fits, use it. Of course if you want an engineer's opinion, you'd need to ask one, and since we can't see or calculate the loads, we can just give you general advice.

You might want to consider what is below this wall as you consider where the load will be transferred to. For instance, if there is a pier or foundation below the center of the wall, and you build a header and support the ends of the header, but neglect to verify that the ends of the header are sitting on load bearing points that transfer that weight to the footing... then you've got a problem. Not sure if that makes any sense or not?

Old 07-24-07, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face reply to sleeper's answer

Thanks, . that helps, but how do I tell if or where the footings are on this wall? My house is on a slab foundation. I guess the right side of the wall which is the ext. wall would have a footing, but would there be like double 2x4's somewhere beside the doorway, which is the other end of where i want to open up this space with said header? How could i tell where footings are?

Old 07-24-07, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 222 Votes on 205 Posts
If you have a slab foundation, then there likely isn't any problem. I was imagining you had a basement or a crawlspace and that you wouldn't want to redistribute the weight just anywhere on an unsupported floor. The cement slab should be enough to carry any existing load, since (if I'm picturing it correctly) it sounds like all we are talking about is just the ceiling load down the center of a hip roof. All the roof load should be on the exterior walls.