Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Which Primer after Wallpaper Removal to fix Drywall Damage

Which Primer after Wallpaper Removal to fix Drywall Damage

Old 08-05-07, 08:22 AM
M
Mox
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Which Primer after Wallpaper Removal to fix Drywall Damage

These forums are great -- I have lurked and researched for a long time, but now I've read enough to confuse myself! I apologize in advance if this question is redundant.

I just removed 20 year-old wallpaper from my master bath. It was apparently applied directly to un-prepped sheetrock and the removal left damaged patches in the sheetrock - some several covering several square inches.

Before I start patching the damaged areas, which primer is best to use on these damaged areas? I have Zinsser 1-2-3 and Olympic PVA latex on hand from other projects. Would one of these work to seal the damaged areas? Or should I be using a different product?

Thanks.

Edited to add: The damage is only to the paper face of the rock. No gypsum is exposed.

Last edited by Mox; 08-05-07 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-05-07, 08:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just use a good quality latex primer like Kilz or Zinsser, but any latex primer should be fine for you.

Welcome to the Forums!

Old 08-05-07, 09:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
It is best to use a solvent based primer! Anything with water in it can cause the surrounding paper to lift

Old 08-05-07, 09:58 AM
M
Mox
Thanks, Mark. Is there a brand name of solvent based primer that I should look for?

I used the 1-2-3 to seal some small areas and they seem to be okay, but I don't want to make any mistakes with the large areas.

It also looks like I will need to skim coat the walls. Can I just prime the entire wall area, patch, and then skim coat? After that I plan to spray an eggshell texture and prime again, before painting.

Last edited by Mox; 08-05-07 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added Info
Old 08-05-07, 04:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Most any solvent base primer [oil or shellac] will do the job. Zinnser's BIN is the quickest drying but also the stinkiest. I would just prime where it's needed. Once you make all the repairs and retexture it will all need priming anyway.

FYI - I assume you mean an orange peel texture, eggshell is a term for a low sheen enamel similiar to satin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: