What to use in un-heated cottage?

Old 09-16-07, 06:59 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What to use in un-heated cottage?

OK....buying a cottage built on piers that is basic 2x4 construction up in New Hampshire........my plan is to shut it down during times of the winter yet come up and use it. So the house will see extremes as low as probably 10 degrees inside and then I would heat it up to 65 when I come up. For this type of situation is classical sheet rock OK? It feels like it would shrink/crack at joints over time. What kind of interior wall siding would you recommend in this case ?

Old 09-16-07, 09:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I have one dividing wall in my shop that is drywall. It has had no issues with the heat or cold over the last 12 yrs or so. Temps here don't often get below 25 but we have had an occasional night time dip near zero. My shop is usually only heated while in use.

If you decide against drywall you might consider the 3/8" bead board plywood sheets.

Old 09-16-07, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
One thing you need to consider is that if you inhabit the cottage for a period in colder weather and then leave, you will be closing your cottage up when you may have considerable humidity inside.

This is where I could see problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: