Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Any other options for drop-in ceiling panels?

Old 09-29-07, 05:37 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I keep thinking/considering putting suspended ceiling in our basement. However, I think the prices for the
standard products are a bit high. Are there any other options
instead of the standard panels in the grid? Can I use 2x4 or
2x2 thin paneling or cheap hardboard material? Even if It is
not white, I guess i would paint it then.

..Is there any alternatives to a standard metal grid? Can I use thin strips of wood, still letting eye-bolts allowing the
"grid-system" to hang at each interval,etc.(4ft. interval)
and also allow "panels" to still fall into place. I could connect
the pieces/strips of wood or whatever cheaper material with
those straight baracket devices from/on the top so you do not see them from when standing in the space.

I think I can pretty much get the concept down but I would
like some opinions, etc.

Thanks!!

Old 09-29-07, 06:08 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
you can use basically anything you want as a ceiling tile. It is up to you, your likes and dislikes, and your budget.

as to the grid; although you may be able to manufacture something to replace it, I doubt you will find very many replacements that offer the clean look, ease of installation, longevity and precision of a pre-made system without spending more money and/or time than it would be worth.

BTW; I prefer 2X2 grid rather than the more common 2X4. Especially if using cheaper tiles or softer materials, the smaller 2X2 has less of a tendency to sag in the middle, especially as they age.

Old 10-06-07, 06:08 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello

We're changing our garage into a rec room and for now we're leaning to suspended ceiling tiles. But instead of "suspend" these will be attached to the joists by using a grid system called "Ceiling Link". There's also another one called "Ceiling Max". It looks just like a suspended grid except it attaces to the joist with screws. You can use any ceiling tile you want.

The "Ceiling Max" one is about 30% more than the "Ceiling Link" . It has more parts/pcs to deal with but most is pre-cut. "Ceiling Link" has just two parts to order but you have to do more cutting.

If you go to the Ceiling Max web site they have a calculator that will help you determain the amount of tiles and parts you need.

Kenny J

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: