Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Need help with a gap between a wall and ceiling

Old 10-24-07, 01:08 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I had a guy to come in to do a fireplace face. At the time I took drywall from the wall where the fireplace is out. So there's no drywall on that wall. The fireplace guy went ahead to put up some drywall for me, so he can do his job. The problem is he put up only the lower sheets horizontally. He left the upper sheets for me to finish.

When I put up the upper sheets, there's a gap between the wall and ceiling about 1/2". I'm trying to figure all the options I have:

1) Fill the gap with mud and tape it as normal
2) Use an inside corner bead to cover the gap
3) Redo the whole drywall, which will be the last option for me.

I really need help from those who have experience in this situation. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-07, 05:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well, the top piece is supposed to go up first, jammed to the ceiling, then the bottom piece, with the gap at the floor, which will be covered with molding. Since you have already got the bottom piece in, and if it is impossible to remove and slide it up to the top, then, you can possibly fill the gap at the top with a 1/2" strip of sheetrock and then install a hard corner bead, rather than paper, unless the filler strip is fairly smooth.

Old 10-25-07, 04:38 AM
Depending on your personal taste another option might be crown molding...

Old 10-25-07, 04:16 PM
W
Exclamation try this

Lift the upper sheet of DW up to the ceiling, putting your 1/2" gap in the seam- then fill the gap with a 1/2" wide rip of 3/8"DW. The 3/8 will be in the taper of the joint and will be invisible when its finished. If you opt to just fill the gap with joint compound, use a setting type compound- not ready mix, as the ready mixed compound will shrink & crack

Old 10-25-07, 06:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Why not just cut a new piece of rock for the top? This stuff is cheap.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: