Free Standing Interior Wall Help

Old 11-02-07, 07:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Free Standing Interior Wall Help

Hey Everyone, I have an interior wall I would like to build that is 19 feet long 8 feet high. The problem is that the ceiling is 12 ft high and the wall will only be attached to one wall and the floor. The floor is concrete and the stud on the existing wall is metal.

I guess I am asking for advice as the wall is pretty long and high I am concerned with the wall being flimsy. I don't mind to a certain degree but I don't want it to fall over if it gets hard. My first idea is to just build it like any other wall and use 2x4 but obviously there is nothing to connect the top plate to.

Any ideas, concerns, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MTSHQ

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-07, 04:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I would be reluctant to leave a wall with as little support as you can give it, to hang free without tying it into the ceiling. Narrower walls, or shorter knee walls don't present such a problem, but being as high as yours is, and as long as it is, will just be asking for problems without end support.

Old 11-03-07, 05:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Would it be feasable to attach the end of the wall to the ceiling? You could have a column/post there and still leave the top of the rest of the walll open.

Old 11-03-07, 07:09 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Wall

I agree with Mark and Larry. I would also add a post in the center.

Old 11-03-07, 07:22 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply I do agree that it could be a problem. The problem with attaching to the ceiling is that there is nothing really above it to attach too except a drop ceiling. I would have to go up to a steel beam another 2 feet after that. Not something I really want to do. I think my only other option is to extend the wall to the other exterior wall and connect to that. The wall would then be 23 feet and an open door way at the end. At least that way it would have something else to attach too.

Thanks everyone

Old 11-03-07, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
I'd suggest that you blow out at least two 12" x 12" sections of cement. Dig a 3' deep hole, plumb a 10' piece of heavy gauge 3" angle iron in the hole, brace it so it stays standing, fill it with concrete. After about a week, when the concrete is cured, you'll have a 7' tall angle iron that you can conceal within the wall and bolt a stud to.

I'd imagine that you'd want one such support on the end of the wall and another in the middle of the wall. Nothing would be needed on the end that joins the existing wall.